Grants Mill Cahaba Canoe Launch and Irondale Riverwalk
The Cahaba is a beautful, natural river, drinking water source, and biodiversity treasure with more fish species per mile than any other river of its size or larger in North America and abundant wildlife for paddlers to enjoy. The Grants Mill Cahaba Canoe Launch and Irondale Riverwalk is an access point to the Cahaba River at the Grants Mill Road Bridge, Irondale, AL. The Grants Mill access is owned by the Freshwater Land Trust and is part of the Cahaba Blueway system. The site features a set of stairs made from natural rock to blend into the setting and provide sure footing for people to access the river at high and low water levels and a walking trail along the river.
This site and the Cahaba Blueway are a collaboration of The Nature Conservancy, Freshwater Land Trust, Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham, Cahaba River Society , City of Irondale, and Cahaba RiverKeeper.
Directions: Travel I-459N, then take exit 27 for Grants Mill Rd. Turn right at Grants Mill Rd. The Cahaba Riverwalk at Grants Mill Bridge will be on the left.
Latitude and Longitude: 33.511727 -86.
TRAIL & BLUEWAY RULES
– Daylight use only. No trespassing dusk to dawn.
– All pets must be on a leash. Please clean up after your pet.
– All alcohol and tobacco use is prohibited.
– Please do not litter.
– Riverbanks are very sensitive. Stay on the trail and in designated paddle launch areas.
– You are solely responsible for your safety and the security of your vehicle and
– WARNING: PADDLE AND SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK!
– Wear a properly fitting life jacket.
– Do not dive head-first…EVER!
– Always paddle or swim with someone else.
– Plan your paddling route and tell others where you are going.
– Paddle or swim when the water is lower – Never in high water.
– Watch out for underwater obstacles and avoid fallen trees.
– Do not trespass on adjacent private property. Stay within the high banks of the river.
Map of Cahaba River access points with location of Grants Mill River access
Resources for Recreation at the Cahaba River at Grants Mill:
- Check water levels: USGS gauge data at Mountain Brook (closest to Grants Mill). Minimum recommended flow to paddle is 100 cfs.
- Check water quality: Cahaba Riverkeeper Swim Guide